Friday, December 11, 2015

Song #11 - This Christmas

Song #11 is another of my favorites (how many times am I allowed to say that?). It's such an upbeat song and is a blast to sing along to. 

Classic Version:  This Christmas was written and recorded by Donny Hathaway in 1970.

Co-writer Nadine McKinnor said she felt "blessed to have written with Donny a song that celebrates the possibilities, the expectations, and the anticipation of Christmas," which I think really sums up the theme of this song. Though the original release saw little success, it fared better in 1972 when it reached No. 11 on Billboard's Special Christmas Singles List.

Donny Hathaway


Modern Version: This Christmas only continued to grow in popularity after Atco Records released a revised version of their album Soul Christmas (1968) in 1991. I listened to a number of covers and the ones I liked best were by singers with big, powerful voices. CeeLo Green's is a blast to listen to, though I must warn you the video is a tad weird (and potentially NSFW for those following along at work).

CeeLo Green

And who else has a mighty powerful voice? Christina Aguilera of course! Though the rest of her Christmas album leaves something to be desired, her cover of This Christmas is awesome. Check out her recording below.

Christina Aguilera

Coincidentally, CeeLo and Christina did a duet together on his most recent Christmas Album. Will it make the Christmas Countdown? Stay tuned to find out.

Vote for your favorite below!


-Jesse

1 comment:

  1. I'm a pretty huge fan of Joe's version of "This Christmas." I still cast my vote of what you posted, but you should give Joe's a listen haha

    ReplyDelete