Thursday, December 8, 2016

Song #18 - Holly Jolly Christmas

Classic Version: Holly Jolly Christmas was written by Johnny Marks in 1962. Before we go any further, we need to take a minute to acknowledge Mr. Marks. This dude was like the Max Martin of Christmas music. In addition to Holly Jolly Christmas, he wrote 'Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer,' 'Run Rudolph Run,' and  'Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree.' For reference, that's #2, #7, #11, and #40 on the Billboard Holiday 100 (2016). 

This song was originally recorded but The Quinto Sisters, but when household name, Burl Ives, recorded his version it quickly became the more popular track. It's bouncy and jazzy and just a blast to listen to.

Burl Ives (1964)


Modern Version: I really thought after having a whole "Country Christmas Special," I wouldn't be back with more. Well, sorry not sorry. Burl Ives was a prominent folk singer and I believe that has had an strong impact on the type of musicians who will cover this one. Lady Antebellum's cover has done quite well and for good reason. It's true to the original, not overtly country, and plays well to the style of their vocals (the same cannot be said for all of the tracks on their Christmas album). If after this, you're still feeling the country vibe and want something with even more twang, check out this version by Chris Young. 

Lady Antebellum (2012)

To avoid going full country, I want to share a more interesting piece. In my time writing this blog I've come across some weird covers. They're usually forgettable at best. This Holly Jolly Christmas cover by Sufjan Stevens, however, kind of stuck with me. I found myself playing it again and again. I still don't know if it's terrible or genius. Which, coincidentally, is how I've always felt about Sufjan Stevens. 

Sufjan Stevens



Don't forget to vote!

Which version was your favorite?


No comments:

Post a Comment