Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Day #19 - Santa Baby

Santa Baby is not my favorite song by far, but I felt compelled to include it here. It's a perennial Christmas classic and it breaks the mold we see shaping other 1950's hits. That and I'm a sucker for self-aware songs with anti-consumerist subtext.

Classic Version: The original was written by Joan Javits and recorded by none other than Eartha Kitt. Her 1953 recording is the ubiquitous version you'll hear on the radio, in the stores, in your mind when you're trying to sleep, etc. Her 1963 version, however, has also remained relevant as it spawned a number of well-known covers, including the successful 1987 Madonna recording (of which I am not a fan). I'm partial to the former, but the music in the second is a worthy addition.

Eartha Kitt (1953)

Eartha Kitt (1963)

Modern Version: Eartha Kitt set the bar high on this one and I struggled to find an adequate modern cover. If you're a "Santa Baby purist" you might be fond of this recording from Kylie Minogue's 2015 album, Kylie Christmas.

Kylie Minogue (2015)

If you're looking for something a little different, then you're in luck. I stumbled across this late 90's hip-hop rendition by Rev Run (of Run DMC) and it is STACKED with feature artists including Puff Daddy and Snoop Dogg. Co-written by Lauryn Hill and Wyclef Jean, this holiday power house borrows just a line or two from the original for its chorus.This will forever be a part of my Christmas Music collection from here on out. 

Rev Run (1997)



Vote & Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment