Monday, December 5, 2016

Day #17 (Part B) - All I Want For Christmas Is You

Given I wrote a mid-length novel to introduce this song, I'm going to keep the actual post nice and short.

Classic Version: 


Mariah Carey (1994)

Modern Version: To my surprise, there aren't that many impressive covers. It's likely a bit of a risk to cover given the powerful vocals and star-status of Mariah Carey. Michael Bublé's version has had decent success and is refreshingly toned down. 

Michael Bublé (2011)

My mom has always said she felt this was actually a sad love song. I never really noticed that with Mariah Carey's original, but I can see it in Bublé's version. Even moreso in this "minor-key" variation by Chase Holfelder. 

Chase Holfelder

It really does seem to work in both contexts. Just another reason this song was made to last. Don't forget to comment and vote below.

Which version was your favorite?


No comments:

Post a Comment