Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Song #2 - Jingle Bell Rock

Classic Version: Kickin' off Day 2 with the jazzy, upbeat Christmas hit, Jingle Bell Rock. It's come to my attention that a lot of people feel like the holiday spirit is just a scam to increase the sale of consumer goods. I can't exactly figure out why that is, but I hope this catchy tune might change some minds. Anyway, onto the song.

Jingle Bell Rock was written by Joseph Beal and James Boothe in 1957. Prior to and following this production, Beal and Boothe worked exclusively in the advertising industry. Oh, I see it now.

The original recording was performed by Bobby Helms and is the version you're still mostly likely to hear on the radio (for good reason, in my opinion). Give it a listen:

Bobby Helms

Modern Version: Unlike yesterday's song, Jingle Bell Rock has been recorded by so many artists it's almost hard to believe (Wikipedia lists over 90 artists). Even harder to believe, is that none of them come close to the original. If I had to choose one, it'd go to the Rascal Flatts. FORTUNATELY, I didn't have to choose because Tina Fey graced us with this version from the 2004 teen comedy, Mean Girls:



To be fair, I want to include the Rascal Flatts version here. Theirs is unique but still true to the original and it isn't overwhelmingly country (I had promised myself I would limit the country influence). Give them a listen.



What did you think? Is Bobby Helms still the one to beat? Should Lindsay Lohan have joined the Rascal Flatts? Vote below for your favorite!

P.S.  Fun fact: Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms was ALSO featured in Home Alone 2.

Which is your favorite rendition?



-Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment