Friday, December 11, 2015

Song #10 - White Christmas

Classic Version: White Christmas was written by Irving Berlin in the early 1940s. I always knew it was a popular holiday song (hence its inclusion on the Countdown), but I vastly underestimated just how popular.

For those who don't know, Irving Berlin is considered one of the best song writers of all times. The man wrote "God Bless America." He not only received the Oscar for Best Original Song, he actually presented the award to himself.

So when Irving Berlin says, "I just wrote the best song I've ever written — heck, I just wrote the best song that anybody's ever written!" You better take note. Who, then, is worthy of recording such an incredible song? How about Bing Crosby.

The Bing Crosby recording of White Christmas is the best selling single of all time according to Guinness World Records. I know what you're thinking, "Wait, it's not Adele?" Yeah I was surprised too. Anyway, let's give it a listen:

Bing Crosby

Modern Version: I thought I had found a pattern where unbeatable original recordings typically lacked in modern covers, but White Christmas appears to be the exception. In fact, it's the most covered Christmas song. Ever.

As was the case in Song #1, it's hard to find someone better than Michael Bublé to cover a Bing Crosby track. Interestingly, Bublé's rendition is actually in the style of the popular recording done by The Drifters in 1954. Check it out:

Michael Bublé feat. Shania Twain

If you're looking for something more like the original, check out this 1998 recording by Martina McBride.

Martina McBride

Have a different favorite version? Think Adele should release a follow up album, "25: Days of Christmas?" Vote and comment below!

Who did it best?


-Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment