Monday, December 18, 2017

Song #20 - Little Drummer Boy (aka Jesus and Juggling)

Little Drummer Boy is without a doubt part of the classic Christmas canon. Written in 1941 by prolific American classical composer, Katherine Kennicott Davis, this choral piece was covered by many of the big names in Christmas. Bing Crosby, Johnny Mathis, Ray Conniff, and Andy Williams all included a copy on their early Christmas albums.

The song was first recorded by The Trapp Family singers, led by Maria Von Trapp of Sound of Music fame. The version you are likely most familiar with, however, was recorded seven years later in 1958 by, The Harry Simeone Chorale.

The Harry Simeone Chorale (1958)


Before we jump to the modern renditions, of which there are many, I want to share something I learned about the song. I assure you this is the first and last time I share a biblical story on the blog...

The story in the song depicts a little boy who is summoned to the birth of Jesus by the Three Wise Men. With no gift to give, the little boy plays his drum and receives the approval of Jesus' mother, Mary. The story is loosely based on a 12th Century legend, Le Jongleur de Notre Dame (Our Lady's Juggler). I kid you not, there is a religious miracle story about a juggler who has no gift for the statue of Virgin Mary and chooses to showcase his talents instead. Witnesses accuse him of blasphemy until THE STATUE COMES TO LIFE AND BLESSES THE JUGGLER. This is the best story ever. I hope Mary would've approved of my sick beach juggling. 

(Warning: Loud)


Okay, enough blasphemy, onto the modern tracks. There are a lot of covers and none that are particularly noteworthy. I think Josh Groban's deep voice does well with this one so I'll give it to him.

Josh Groban (2007)


If you're looking for some real variety, you could give the Justin Bieber/Busta Rhymes duet a listen. I give them credit for making something original, but that's about as far as I'll go.

Justin Bieber feat. Busta Rhymes (2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment